Friday, June 26, 2009

Real Eggs

Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where the housing is too dense for me to be allowed to raise backyard chickens. Fortunately, I have access to good eggs from pastured chickens through Groff's Content Farm. Above shows a half dozen, just hard-boiled. What do I so like about these eggs? Yeah, they have the nice deep golden yolks and firm shells typical of those from chickens that really do spend their time outside (rather than just having "free range" access through a hole in the barn). But to me, they have three main differences that make the sale.

They are different colors. OK, this is purely aesthetic, but I love opening a dozen eggs and getting, three, four or more different looks - from traditional brown and white to speckled brown to blue.

They are different shapes. Eggs from the store are a fairly consistent ovoid. These eggs are sometimes almost round, sometimes very elongated, with a broad variety in between.

They are different sizes. Even organic farmers often sell their eggs by size. These eggs are just eggs. Some are huge, some are puny. It's much more convenient than a dozen all one size because I can almost always find the right size for the dish I'm making or my appetite at the moment. It's also a nice reminder that there aren't "medium" chickens laying medium eggs.

So, all praise to the perfect food in all its imperfections.

(cross-referenced to Food Renegade's Fight Back Fridays)

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you think!

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at the "country eggs" we buy. Some are whitish, some are brown w/specks, some are blue. My favorite ones are the ones that are so stretched out. Once we got a double yolker.

    ReplyDelete